2023 Flax Straw Purchase
Please read through this carefully
We’re excited to announce PCE is buying flax straw from producers as we get started in producing pellets. We’re purchasing up to about 11,000MT this fall.
- LOCATION & TRANSPORTATION
- We are purchasing within roughly 100km of Regina, SK and 75km of Gilbert Plains, MB
- Baling and storing on property is the producer’s responsibility.
- Arranging transportation of bales is PCE’s responsibility (if you can transport, too, please include that in your contract or communications with us).
- We’re looking for bales of at least 900 lbs, with 15% moisture content or less.
- Bales must be rock free.
- Minimal weed content
- Round bales for Gilbert Plains, MB
- Round or large-square bales for Regina
- Flax straw will be purchased from producers based on the total expected cost of bale purchase and transportation as well as how much straw we are budgeting to purchase this year.
- The purchase price is $18 per bale, with ¼ paid on confirmation of stored bales and ¾ paid on confirmation of pick-up.
If you’re within this purchase area, please fill out the form below the FAQs. Thank you.
How do a get a contract to sell you my straw?
Please fill out the form below to start the process. If you’re in the purchasing area and after we factor in cost and transportation and our volume needed, we will email you a contract to review and, we hope…sign. You will hear from us after you fill out the form regardless.
Is the $18 per bale negotiable?
No, it is not. As a company that is scaling up we’ve had to budget for this first straw purchase and weigh financial output as we grow. We also need to weigh our capacity as a team to respond to requests and streamline this process.
Why 75kms around Gilbert Plains?
We have leased some capacity at a facility near there to start producing our flax pellets with a plan to have our Regina facility open in 2024.
What if I am not in the 100km radius of Regina or the 75km radius of Gilbert Plains, MB?
We hope you will consider storing your bales this year. We are projecting future flax straw needs for 2024. We can’t promise outright that we will buy them in 2024 but we are planning to open our Regina facility in 2024.
If you are able to bale and transport to either Regina or Gilbert Plains for the $18 per bale and we still haven’t reached the amount of straw we need, we will more than likely purchase your bales. Please fill out the form below.
What if I have square bales?
We are accepting both round and large square bales in the Regina area and only round in the Gilbert Plains area.
What if you don’t buy from me this year? What should I do with my flax straw? We anticipate needing more straw in 2024 as we scale up. We hope you will consider storing your bales on your property until we are able to purchase them. We can’t promise we will purchase them but our aim is to be in higher production next year in our Regina facility.
I didn’t grow flax this year but am considering it for next year.
Sign a Right of First Refusal (ROFR) agreement with PCE for next year. We contact producers with ROFRs first when buying straw. Fill out our contact form and put ROFR in the message and we will send you one. It’s a flexible 5 year agreement that just says if you growing flax, PCE has the first right to buy your straw. You’re not obligated to grow flax every year nor sell it to us.